I have been taking notes as I make the journey to becoming a regular Sony A7Rii user. By regular I simply mean I intend to use the camera with my other Nikon cameras and insert it into my regular rotation of cameras.
Reasons I would abandon it:
- The menu system is horrible to get used to coming from Nikon. Nikon has nice structured professional menus.
- There are features simply missing in my humble opinion like CPU lens setting for registering correct EXIF data when using non electrical MF lenses.
- The EVF system is amazingly both good and bad in low light.
- The body just doesn’t feel professional, it feels very consumer oriented.
- You should be able to set the sensor to clean automatically on power off and power on, this would greatly help keep the sensor dust down.
- You need to blow out the camera a lot of you change lenses a lot.
- Of course battery life stinks, but is manageable if you carry extra batteries.
- Steady shot giveth and taketh! Beware, especially if you change lenses a lot.
- OOO Camera colors are a bit cool, cured by turning on vivid.
- Sony doesn’t require a Serial Number to register (Would prefer it be based off a SN)
- The manual is written for a consumer and seems incomplete.
- Inability to turn off stupid shutter sound without disabling other key features
- Slow between pictures and blackout times
- Zooming is totally stupid clumsy
Things I need to learn:
- How to turn off rear LCD monitor, its always on unless you put your eye to the view finder. I only want to see it when I want to see it by pressing a Custom button or menu.
- Which ISO’s I can truly depend on, some are not consistent (IE ISO 640 seems better than ISO 400)
- Reduce sensor flare from my adapter (Flocking inside of adapter?)
Reasons Why I will Keep it:
- Impressive colors and IQ at ISO 100 with Vivid on
- The EVF is handy at times (my Hybrid Idea would be so much better! 🙂
- Ability to slap on any MF lens I have and rock and roll
- Peeking is seriously useful
- IBIS is really nice to have
- Sony is evolving and there is a huge amount of potential
- Because I am mostly a slow deliberate picture taker and its fine for that
- Because i want to try some native glass on it.